Campus Sports

MIT overcome KMC Mangalore, clinch Inter MAHE Handball3 min read

March 2, 2018 2 min read


MIT overcome KMC Mangalore, clinch Inter MAHE Handball3 min read

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Manipal: Manipal Institute of Technology (MIT) took the field by storm as they defeated Kasturba Medical College (KMC), Mangalore in a score-line that read 9-5 to clinch the men’s handball title in the Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) inter-collegiate handball tournament held here on Thursday, March 1.

The medical students were under pressure from the start and it was difficult for them to keep MIT at bay. However, the defence line soon succumbed to the attacking prowess of the engineering college, as they opened the scoring. In response, KMC desperately tried to penetrate their counterpart’s defence line, but the quick and strong defence tactics adopted by MIT prevented them from a quick comeback. Despite coming really close at times, things got worse for KMC, as the fast-paced and brilliantly coordinated attacks orchestrated by their opponents saw them concede two goals without any reply.

The KMC Mangalore team huddles during the match. || Photograph courtesy: Divayansh Bargotra.


KMC didn’t lose composure as their captain, Rushabh, spurred the team on for a probable comeback, as he assisted and scored two goals to balance out the hitherto one-sided affair. KMC’s defensive live was finding it hard to cope with MIT’s offensive manoeuvres, as they gave away two penalties which luckily didn’t find their way in the back of the net. The second spot-kick saw KMC’s K. Shetty suffering an injury and being side-lined after getting into a brawl to prevent MIT from taking a shot at goal. Towards the end of the first half, MIT did come close to adding on to their lead, and in one brilliantly fabricated counter-attack move, missed scoring by an inch. The first half was drawn to a close with a nail-biting score of 5-4, with MIT managing to hold on to their narrow lead.

However, MIT really took off in the second half as KMC again failed to defend their lines and saw themselves conceding two lightning-fast goals superbly built up by MIT. KMC were unable to respond, as they only managed to pull one consolatory goal back. The closing stages of the game turned out to be a frustrating affair for the team from Mangalore, as their desperate attempts to level the score were being swiftly defended. MIT took advantage of the lead they possessed and found themselves atop a four-goal cushion towards the closing stages of the game.

MIT cruised to the finals in a rampant game against Welcomegroup School of Hotel Administration (WGSHA), where they thrashed their opponents 15-2 in the preliminary round. The Department of Commerce (DOC) too showed a similar kind of a performance, in a mammoth one-sided game against the School of Management (SOM) in an 11-1 battering.

The tournament was played at the MIT Hockey Grounds and witnessed the participation of nine different colleges under MAHE, such as the School of Communication (SOC) and the School of Allied Health Sciences (SOAHS), to name a few.


Featured image courtesy: Divayansh Bargotra

Edited by: Sherry Phillips