Campus Sports Top Stories

MCOPS overthrows WGSHA, clinches Men’s title; KMC Mangalore bags women’s title in Inter-MAHE football3 min read

March 6, 2018 3 min read

MCOPS overthrows WGSHA, clinches Men’s title; KMC Mangalore bags women’s title in Inter-MAHE football3 min read

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Manipal: Kasturba Medical College (KMC), Mangalore triumph over Manipal Institute of Technology (MIT) 3-1 in the women’s final of the Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) Inter-Collegiate Football Tournament. The men’s tournament, which was held simultaneously, saw Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences (MCOPS) outmatch Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration (WGSHA) 2-0 here on Sunday, March 4.

MCOPS and WGSHA delivered a feast to the fans with a match filled with counter attacks, defensive clearances and countless mishandled goal scoring opportunities. WGSHA opened the attack with a missed attempt at the goal in the 2nd minute, but MCOPS player Abu broke the deadlock in the 20th minute of the game. Tobatsi followed him with a second goal in the 35th minute.

MCOPS celebrate their goal against WGSHA in the men’s final. || Photograph Courtesy: Apoorv Sathya

WGSHA had a chance to pull one back in the 30th minute but failed to find the back of the net. Another opportunity to reinforce their attack was lost in the 37th minute when their left-footed corner fell short of the goal. MCOPS were handed a yellow card in each half of the game, whereas WGSHA got away with just 1 yellow card in the 70-minute game.

Earlier in the day, winners MCOPS managed to beat MIT – A, in a match that led to penalties where the victory was determined through a sudden death round of penalties. “It was like we played the final before the actual final when we faced MIT – A in the morning. WGSHA, however, didn’t give up without a fight”, said Abu, the goal scorer for MCOPS. WGSHA faced T.A Pai Management Institute (TAPMI) in their semi-final fixture, which after a draw also led to a showdown in penalties where WGSHA emerged the winner. Both of the semi-final matches ended 2-2 at full time. The tournament was conducted over the course of 3 days.

The women’s trophy was lifted by KMC Mangalore after they netted three goals against MIT’s solitary goal. KMC took an early lead as they took advantage of a slip in possession near MIT’s goal. Following the goal, there was a constant battle going on in the field as possession kept on changing feet. Both the sides rammed into each other’s defence as they looked for an opportunity to kill the game on their behalf. However, it was MIT who pushed KMC back to their half as the latter found it difficult to keep the ball away from their side. MIT had a golden opportunity to level the match, as a shot on an open KMC-net was ecstatically cleared off the line. The first-half was drawn to a close with the MIT keeper charging forward to prevent KMC from doubling their tally.

MIT Women in action the final against KMC Mangalore. || Photograph Courtesy: Apoorv Sathya

The second-half too had a shaky start for MIT as their composed moves were ruined by a lob shot, which despite the keeper having fingertips to it, found its way in the back of the net. With KMC’s lead doubling, most of the second-half was marred by MIT’s desperate attempts to salvage the game as they looked for an opening. They even won an indirect free-kick which was nicked off the wall. Towards the end of the second half, MIT did manage to pull one goal back. However, their happiness was short-lived, as a third-goal from KMC towards the dying moments of the game sealed the victory for the side from Mangalore.

MIT contested in the final, after knocking Manipal College of Dental Sciences (MCODS) out on penalties after the game finished 1-1, while KMC stormed into the final after an overwhelming victory over MCOPS in a 3-0 battering. The tournament was played over a course of two days, on March 3 and March 4.

Edited by Sherry Philips

Featured Image Courtesy: Apoorv Sathya